Ansoo Lake is located in Kaghan Valley of District Mansehra, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Pakistan. It is located at an altitude of 13,927 feet (4245 meters) above sea level and considered among one of the highest lakes of Himalayas. The lake is situated near Malika Parbat, the highest mountain of Kaghan Valley.
- How to reach
- Preparations for trek
- Cautions for trekkers
According to a resident of Naran Valley, M. Tahir, Ansoo Lake is his discovery and he named this Lake as Ansoo Jheel (transformation in English: “Tear Lake”). The lake (Jheel) is shaped like a tear (Ansoo) that why it is named Ansoo Lake. The lake has become very popular attractions for tourists in a very short time.
It is said that one need to be lucky to behold the beautiful Ansoo Lake. Because sometimes when you reach the lake after hours difficult trekking, the lake does not viewable due to fog or rain. Track to the lake itself present several breathtaking and picturesque views to the visitors. After 5 hours of trek a hill comes, and when you look down to the other side from the summit of the hill, Ansoo Lake is there saying behold I am what brings you here, away from the crowds and communities of human. Traveling a little more will take you closer to the bank of lake. The lake stays covered in snow whole year except from July to August. It is said that best time for this trek is between July 10 to August 15 and one can see the mirroring waters of lake during this period of time.
How to reach:
Aansoo Lake can be reached using two treks;
- From Lake Saif-ul-Malook
- From Mahandri through Manoor Village
From Lake Saif-ul-Malook:
It takes seven to nine hours of trek for a round trip from Lake Saif-ul-Malook to Ansoo Lake. It is recommended to set off early in the morning. It would be better if you spend night at Lake Saif-ul-Malook and start traveling as early as possible in the morning. This trek can be separated into two halves. The first part is through a valley alongside river to the base camp of Malika Parbat. The second steeper part is from the base camp of Malika Parbat to Ansoo Lake.
From Mahandri through Manoor Village:
The second trek to set off for Ansoo Lake is a village named Mahandri, located about 40 kilometers (25 miles) to the south of Naran. Turning left from Mahandri Bazar, a jeep track leads to Village Manoor. This valley is great gift for nature lovers and full heart touching picturesque views. You can reach here on jeep but you need to walk from here. After 6-7 hours of trek a lush green meadow called “Dher” comes. From here trek starts to incline. After 3-4 hours of trek from Dher at a height of about 14,000 feet you can see the Ansoo Lake.
Preparations for Trek:
- Bring tents and sleeping bags and food with you for in case you need to camps somewhere due to rough weather conditions like snow fall, heavy rain or land slide.
- Hire a guide and horses for the trek. (This can be arranged from the Lake Saif-ul-Malook).
- Keep enough food and water with you. Better to take sandwiches or burgers for food because you don’t need to take any crockery stuff for them.
- Use comfortable shoes, warm clothes and especially keep a rain coat with you for rain and snowfall.
Cautions for trekkers:
- Avoid trekking to Ansoo Lake in a bad weather. Wait for a fair day.
- Diabetes patients and people with respiratory problems should avoid to trek for the lake.