Derawar Fort is located 100 kilometers (62 miles) from Bahawalpur, Pakistan. This stronghold is the largest and most magnificently sustained fortress of Cholistan. It is a square fort and each wall is 204.8 meters (672 feet) in length, vertically 30 meters (98.4 feet) high and total circumference of its walls is 1500 meters (4921.5 feet). The gate of fortress is on its southern side and is reached by a winding ramp. Most of the bastions of fort present geometric design made by burnt bricks. The strong fort standing over the semi desert is visible from miles around.
Hindu Rajput, Rai Jajja Bhati of Jaisalmer was the one who initially built a fort on this sight. The fort remained under the control of royal family of Jaisalmer until 1733 A.D, when, nawabs of Bahawalpur captured this fort. It was then completely rebuilt under the supervision of the Nawab. The fort was lost from the hands of Abbasis owing to Bahawal Khan’s preoccupation at Shikarpur. In 1804 A.D, the stronghold was taken aback by Nawab Mubarik Khan.
Inside Derawar Fort a number of buildings provided quarters for Nawab’s army. Quarters of the royal family standing deserted inside the fort are turning to dust. There are shrines of four pious Muslims near Derawar Fort. The Derawar Mosque having four minarets and three domes is exact replica of Moti Mosque at Red Fort Dehli, and was built in 1844 A.D.